Direct Bible References
Extra direct Bible references which expands or explain the same step.
- Isaiah 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? (Author: 'Jesus')
- Matthew 9:15 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Luke 5:35 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Acts 13:2-3 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. (Author: 'People from Antioch')
Indirect Bible References
Extra, more indirect Bible references, relating to the same step.
- Zechariah 7:5 Speak unto all the people of the land, and to the priests, saying, When ye fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh month, even those seventy years, did ye at all fast unto me, even to me? (Author: 'Zechariah')
- Mark 9:28-29 And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out? And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting. (Author: 'Jesus')
OT Law Bible References
Old Testament Law Bible references which will relate to OT Commandments (Jewish tradition teached that there are 613 commandments or mitzvot in the Torah).
- Leviticus 23:27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD. (OT Law nr: '313', Rambam Title: 'To fast on Yom Kippur', Rambam Coding: 'CCA32' )
Example Bible References
In these Bible references you will find examples and testimonies how this step was being executed.
Please click on the Bible Reference to show its corresponding text.
- 2 Chronicles 20:2-4
Then there came some that told Jehoshaphat, saying, There cometh a great multitude against thee from beyond the sea on this side Syria; and, behold, they be in Hazazon-tamar, which is En-gedi. And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah. And Judah gathered themselves together, to ask help of the LORD: even out of all the cities of Judah they came to seek the LORD. (Author: 'Jehoshaphat')
- Ezra 8:21-23
¶ Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might afflict ourselves before our God, to seek of him a right way for us, and for our little ones, and for all our substance. For I was ashamed to require of the king a band of soldiers and horsemen to help us against the enemy in the way: because we had spoken unto the king, saying, The hand of our God is upon all them for good that seek him; but his power and his wrath is against all them that forsake him. So we fasted and besought our God for this: and he was intreated of us. (Author: 'Ezra')
- Nehemiah 1:4-11
¶ And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven, And said, I beseech thee, O LORD God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments: Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the prayer of thy servant, which I pray before thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father’s house have sinned. We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses. Remember, I beseech thee, the word that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, saying, If ye transgress, I will scatter you abroad among the nations: But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there. Now these are thy servants and thy people, whom thou hast redeemed by thy great power, and by thy strong hand. O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king’s cupbearer. (Author: 'Nehemiah')
- Esther 4:16-17
Could not load text at the moment. (Author: 'Esther')
- Joel 1:14
¶ Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD, (Author: 'Joel')
- Zechariah 8:19
Thus saith the LORD of hosts; The fast of the fourth month, and the fast of the fifth, and the fast of the seventh, and the fast of the tenth, shall be to the house of Judah joy and gladness, and cheerful feasts; therefore love the truth and peace. (Author: 'HEERE')
- Luke 2:37
And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. (Author: 'Anna (a prophetess)')
- Acts 10:30-31
And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing, And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God. (Author: 'Cornelius')
- Acts 14:23
And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed. (Author: 'Paul and Barnabas')
Duplicate Bible References
Another Bible reference to more or less the same as the primary, direct or indirect, with not much new information, although it will confirm the same Bible references:
Please click on the Bible Reference to show its corresponding text.
- Matthew 17:21
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. (Author: 'Jesus')
- Mark 2:18-20
And the disciples of John and of the Pharisees used to fast: and they come and say unto him, Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but thy disciples fast not? And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? as long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days. (Author: 'Jesus')
Bible verses copyright: PUBLIC DOMAIN except in the United Kingdom, where a Crown Copyright applies to printing the KJV. See http://www.cambridge.org/about-us/who-we-are/queens-printers-patent
Click here to see the explanation of the different symbols, Author, OT Law etc.
- A related Bible reference to the step which is negative, something you should not do
- A related Bible reference to the step which is both positive and negative
- A related Bible reference to the step which is positive, something you should do or learn from
- A related Bible reference to the step which is not yet determined positive or negative
- Author: Indicates the known author from this Bible reference
- OT Law nr: Jewish tradition teached that there are 613 commandments or mitzvot in the Torah. We list the Number, based on a chronological order (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numeri, Deuteronomium).
- Rambam Title: This is the commandment, as an interpretation of Rambam (commonly known as Maimonides)
- Rambam Coding: The coding refers to the commandments layout of Rambam. Rabbi Chafetz Chayim wrote a book with all the commandments which can still be observed today. The book is called 'The Concise Book of Mitzvoth'
- CCA means a positive mitzwe (which can now also be carried out outside of Israel).
- CCN is the negative mitzwe (which can now also be carried out outside of Israel).
- CCI means that this mitzvah can only be performed in the State of Israel.
Who came up with this "613 Mitzvot"?
Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, His full name was Rabbi Moses Ben Maimon. His name formed the acronym as "The Rambam" was born on the 14th of Nisan 4895 (30th March 1135) and he died on the 20th of Tevet of 4965 (Dec. 13 1204). The Rambam was one of the most saught after individuals of his time. Not only as a Halachic authority, but also within the secular world of kings and sultans, for his vast knowledge of secular medecines was outstanding. When writting the Mishna Torah, Ramban reviewed the Torah's Mitzvot, and he itemized them. He seperated the positive and negative mitzvot, listed them, all 613, and discussed them.